follow me on redux

25.12.05

More of my Wartime memories

I suddenly recalled a dogfight in the sky and the crashed Aircraft landed in a sports field very near Fort Brockhurst; an enemy aircraft I most likely cheered but I really cannot recall that. I do know we were hounded out of the area by Military and Police and the enemy Pilot who parachuted down was met with a mob of Hostile ladies; whether Mother was with them I cannot recall but I do know he knew the way to the nearest Police Station. On the map now seeing it after all these years has made me recall the street where the school was Elson road. Getting back to the soldiers they were in a fort and I know you will laugh but it was complete with a moat.to be frank I never thought I would obtain a picture of the Fort but yes I found them on As kids we were cunning and put 44 gallon oil drums in the moat to sneak in as they had an abundance of horse chestnut trees in the fort, we used these in contests at school or anywhere; we called them conkers, a hole was drilled through one and a piece of string or twine was put through the hole and knotted and we played games with these things. The aircraft incident must have set this off as I recall a load of us crossing the moat, scaling the ramparts; security was sure lax as we got in ok; and as bold as brass strolled out the main gate then of course it was on; I can’t recall if I evaded them but it seems so funny now after all these years; Mother may have had a visit from the boys in blue, I know she had a few over me funny now I guess. it was Fort Brockhurst I have just recalled A really big event was when the school was bombed flat; thank goodness we were not in it (it happened on a night raid) no school we thought great; sadly it was not to be and we were all marched off to the Church hall I think we all offered up prayers for the Church hall to be bombed; it never happened of course and school life proceeded, we were sent to other schools in the area We had coupons for everything in those days; especially food, clothing as well and what the Brits call sweets Americans call candy and Aussies call lollies. So as a kid I suffered without those goodies, two ounces a week I think and that was it, we had to buy them as well; Bread was rationed but in the beginning cream buns were not and cost a whole penny a vast sum to a child then; without warning cream buns went the same way; so some sad times but fun times as well. I still can vividly recall the baker's horse yes horse drawn as petrol was severely rationed and dyed red to stop the sale of it on the blackmarket; the poor old baker was involved in a freak accident and the horse was alive but the Police brought out a vet who had to put him down; I guess us kids were sad a little I mean I always liked animals but who was going to bring me my penny cream bun; I have been in the area a few years ago but never thought to get a picture of it. Will post more as I recall things

No comments:

Post a Comment